JPRS Comments on the WCIT12

  • From: HiroHOTTA <hotta@xxx>
  • To: <wcit-public@xxx>
  • Subject: JPRS Comments on the WCIT12
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 08:27:25 +0900

We appreciate being given the opportunity to express our views on
ITR and WCIT responding to the public call made by ITU.

Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS) is a private company that
serves as Japanese ccTLD (.jp) registry. It makes contribution to
the global and local Internet resource management in coordination
with ICANN, JPNIC, Japanese government, and other entities. It
makes various other contributions as well to the Internet growth
and development through IETF, ISOC, and so on.

Here we submit our comments from the standpoint of a ccTLD registry,
which serves to the Internet infrastructure mainly through domain
name management and domain name system (DNS) operation.

One of the indispensable nature of the Internet is "equally
connecting every corner of the world". It has been the strong will
and autonomous activities of various stakeholders, mainly of private
sector entities, that have served as driving force of the growth and
development of the Internet. Such activities, among others, include
policy setting, technical standardization, and operation of the
Internet. Below are the examples of the forums yielding such
activities.

ICANN continuously contributes to the security and stability of the
domain name system by coordinating the technical aspects of the
Internet resource management. The outstanding nature of ICANN is
that its activities are based upon open participation of
multistakeholder entities from governments, private sector, civil
society, and other related area. This participation framework
strengthens the nature of the Internet, that is, "equally
connecting every corner of the world".

ISOC has contributed to the growth and development of the Internet,
especially by creating the fields, such as IAB and IETF, for
engineers around the world to gather and openly discuss the
standardization of the technical protocols and to bear standard
protocol specifications as RFC documents.

Another example is Network Operators Groups (NOG's). In various
regions and countries, engineers in network operation community have
formed NOG's as open community forums to share experience and
discuss about sound operation of networks within each NOG and across
NOG's.

As exemplified above, frameworks that have served as driving force
of the Internet growth and development are based on open and
bottom-up multistakeholder model.

Since demand for the Internet grows and changes rapidly, Internet
technologies and services are required to be evolved continuously as
rapidly as the demand. The speed of the growth and development of
the Internet has relied on, and will further rely on, the frameworks
whole community have devised to realize.

In conclusion, we support the open and bottom-up multistakeholder
model so that the Internet continues to evolve and equally connects
every corner of the world.

As to the ITR and WCIT, we have strong concern that the speed of
growth and development of the Internet would seriously ruined, if
intergovernmental organizations and/or national governments should
have excess influence to the policy and technical development by
means of international treaties and/or national regulations. We
strongly hope such situation is avoided.

We pay our respect to the effort by parties and individuals involved
in the Internet growth and development so far and expect the
discussions in coming WCIT will lead to further sound development
and more secure and stable Internet infrastructure.

Koki Higashida
President
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd.

  • JPRS Comments on the WCIT12, HiroHOTTA, 11/03/2012