Capacity building for emerging leaders to protect the Internet

Internet Society

Session 313

Tuesday, 28 May 2024 13:30–14:15 (UTC+02:00) Physical (on-site) participation only SDG Stage, CICG, Ground Floor Universal Connectivity Partner's Insight

The Internet flourished because of the community of people who worked tirelessly to help it grow. While it continues to expand and evolve every day, the Internet faces threats and challenges on many fronts. That is why the Internet Society, together with partners, offers a range of programs to equip and empower the next generation of Internet leaders—to grow and strengthen the Internet for everyone who needs it, benefiting the world’s diverse populations equitably. 

In this session, we will have the opportunity to meet some of them who will share: 

• Their success stories as emerging leaders. 
  • The secrets to Internet leadership.

Embark on this journey with us, igniting your passion to protect the Internet!

Panellists
Ms. Bhoomika Agarwal
Ms. Bhoomika Agarwal Youth Ambassador Internet Society - Fellowship, India

As a Senior Research Associate at The Dialogue, a premier tech policy think tank, I work with the Competition and AI Policy verticals to address key challenges in the tech industry through research and engagement. 

My professional experience has covered a range of intriguing topics, from the complexities of electronic commerce to the subtleties of data security and protection.

In the past, I have worked with well-respected organizations such as Amnesty International and the United Nations, where I focused on critical issues surrounding women’s safety.

Apart from my professional pursuits, I am a big fan of badminton and enjoy relaxing with a good sitcom.

Ms. Hijab Siddiqui
Ms. Hijab Siddiqui Youth Ambassador Internet Society - Fellowship, Pakistan

As a lawyer with a passion for human rights and technology, my experience lies in policy development, research, advocacy, and capacity building. My aim is to contribute to the formulation of both national and international policies on Internet Governance and Big Tech regulation, adopting a human rights-based approach and incorporating perspectives from the Global Majority.

My educational journey includes completing the Erasmus Mundus Master’s in Human Rights Policy and Practice across four countries — the UK, Sweden, Spain, and Norway. Prior to this, I earned an LLM in International Law and justice from Fordham University, USA, and an LLB from the University of London International Programmes in Pakistan.

I have worked on various impactful projects, including the development of Pakistan’s National Action Plan on Business & Human Rights, leading capacity-building programs for lawyers, students, civil society, and media professionals, and participating in international film festivals that focus on empowering women and youth.

Ms. Juliet Rogers
Ms. Juliet Rogers Youth Ambassador Internet Society - Fellowship, Sierra Leone

As the founder and COO of Stories that Inspire Planetary Consciousness (SIPC), I’ve leveraged storytelling to drive awareness and action on climate change and global issues. My work combines extensive research on topics like human behavior, societal development, and waste management to create impactful narratives.

I’ve authored various publications, including “The Evils Climate Change Pose to the Environment: A Special Focus on Sierra Leone” in the IJSBAR (2022) and “Waste Management & Its Impacts on Economic Growth” by LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. These works highlight crucial environmental challenges and their economic implications.

My career spans roles in public health and environmental sustainability with organizations like the Data-Pop Alliance, UNDP, and Network for Development Sierra Leone. My contributions have earned me several awards, including the Jubilant Stewards of Africa Pacesetter in Community Service Award and the African Philanthropy Network Storytelling Competition Award.

In addition to my professional endeavors, my writing, both locally and internationally, focuses on planetary consciousness and human development, aiming to inspire collective action against climate change.

Ms. Kathleen Scoggin
Ms. Kathleen Scoggin Youth Ambassador Internet Society - Fellowship, United States

As the Program Coordinator for the Tech, Law, and Security Program at the American University Washington College of Law, I play a pivotal role in managing the logistical and administrative facets of the program. My responsibilities include orchestrating communication among faculty, students, and external partners, as well as coordinating conferences and events.

My career journey has included significant contributions to diverse initiatives, such as an ITU research project on Women in Cybersecurity, the North American School of Internet Governance (on the planning committee), and ICANN.

Holding a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, my academic pursuits have been deeply rooted in digital inclusion and equity. I am passionate about figuring out how to integrate emerging technologies into learning spaces in a way that will foster inclusive and sustainable growth while maintaining a safe and secure environment.

Outside the office, I find joy and balance in yoga and am an enthusiastic traveler, always ready to explore new destinations.

Mr. Ananda Gautam
Mr. Ananda Gautam Co-Founder (Open Internet Nepal, youth IGF Nepal) / Secretary (Internet Society Youth Standing Group) / Board Member (Youth Coalition on Internet Governance) Internet Society - Alumni Network, Nepal

I am a dedicated Internet governance advocate and civic technologies enthusiast with over five years of active contribution to Internet governance in the Asia-Pacific region. He co-founded Open Internet Nepal, the Internet Society Nepal Chapter, and youth IGF Nepal.

I have interventions at both national and global levels and holds leadership roles in major youth initiatives in Internet Governance. I am the current secretary of the Internet Society Youth Standing Group and the Asia-Pacific representative on the steering committee of the Youth Coalition on Internet Governance (YCIG), which operates within the Internet Governance Forum framework.

I am actively engaged in youth capacity building and advocates for their active role in Internet policy-making. I also write about emerging issues in Internet governance, including community networks, freedom of expression, and Artificial Intelligence.

Ms. Alejandra Prieto
Ms. Alejandra Prieto Director, Fellowships & Alumni Internet Society Foundation, Switzerland Moderator

As the Director of Fellowships & Alumni, I am in charge of the design, development, implementation, and management of programs that empower and equip Internet champions with the knowledge and tools needed to become inclusive, innovative, holistic-minded, and strategic leaders. Thanks to the programs, fellows obtain practical skills, strengthen current abilities, develop their professional networks, and advance their careers.

Before joining the Internet Society and Foundation, I coordinated marketing operations, executed global marketing campaigns, and led eLearning programs at Dassault Systèmes. Before that, I worked at the European Chemical Regions Network (ECRN), where I helped facilitate interregional cooperation and policy development by advocating for a strong regional dimension in the EU policy agenda.

I hold a master’s degree in international strategic management from the University of Paris, and two bachelor’s degrees—in economics, and in business administration and management—from the University of Oviedo in Spain and Maastricht University in The Netherlands. I am also a certified PRINCE2 project manager.

I am fluent in English, Spanish, French, and Italian. I am based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Topics
Cybersecurity Digital Divide Digital Inclusion Digital Transformation Education Infrastructure
WSIS Action Lines
  • AL C3 logo C3. Access to information and knowledge
  • AL C4 logo C4. Capacity building
  • AL C5 logo C5. Building confidence and security in use of ICTs
Sustainable Development Goals
  • Goal 4 logo Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
  • Goal 8 logo Goal 8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
  • Goal 9 logo Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
  • Goal 17 logo Goal 17: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development